Spiritual attacks are a harsh reality for many Christians. Demonic oppression, dark thoughts, and spiritual battles seem to come out of nowhere, leaving us feeling overwhelmed and powerless. But take heart – God has not left us defenseless. Through prayer and His Word, we have spiritual weapons to overcome the enemy’s assaults. This guide will equip you with the knowledge of how to pray when under spiritual attack.
Understanding Spiritual Warfare
To pray effectively when under spiritual attack, we must first understand what spiritual warfare is. The Bible makes it clear – our battle is not against flesh and blood, but against demonic forces and authorities in the spiritual realm (Ephesians 6:12).
Though unseen, this spiritual war is very real. Satan seeks to devour believers (1 Peter 5:8), stealing our joy, peace, and purpose in Christ. Demons can influence our thoughts and insert lies in our minds. The world’s system also wars against our faith. Even our own fleshly desires battle against our spirit (Galatians 5:17).
But God has not left us defenseless. Through Jesus’ death and resurrection, He disarmed the powers of darkness and made a public spectacle of them (Colossians 2:15). The Holy Spirit dwells within us, giving us power, love, and self-control (2 Timothy 1:7). And we have spiritual weapons, including prayer and God’s Word, to overcome the enemy.
So don’t lose heart when under spiritual attack! By God’s power and His spiritual weapons, you can walk in victory.
Psalms Against Spiritual Attack
The Book of Psalms contains many cries to God and instructions on how to pray when under spiritual attack. Let’s look at some key Psalms that can help us in our own battles:
Psalm 3 is a great prayer for deliverance when facing enemies. People who opposed David and wanted to kill him were all around him. But he cried out to God for protection and deliverance and trusted that God would keep him safe (Psalm 3:3-6). We, too, can call on God to shield us from demonic attacks or people speaking curses against us.
In Psalm 18, David praises God for delivering him from all his enemies (spiritual and physical). He describes God as his rock, fortress, and deliverer in times of battle (Psalm 18:1-3). When you feel assaulted by the forces of darkness, declare verses like Psalm 18:48 over yourself – “He delivers me from my enemies… He rescued me because He delighted in me.”
Psalm 91 contains incredible promises of God’s protection for those who abide in Him. Verses like “He will cover you with His feathers, and under His wings, you will find refuge” (Psalm 91:4) are powerful prayers when you feel under spiritual attack. Claim this shelter from God when the enemy comes against you.
Psalm 124 recounts how God delivered Israel from being swallowed alive by their enemies. The psalmist realized that were it not for God’s help, they would have been devoured and destroyed. But God was on their side! We, too, can declare, “Our help is in the name of the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth” (Psalm 124:8). He protects us from spiritual attacks.
Overcoming Spiritual Attack Through Prayer
In addition to praying the Psalms, here are some key ways to overcome spiritual attacks through prayer:
1. Repent of any known sin.
Sin gives the enemy an opening in our lives. Ask God to reveal any areas that need to be dealt with, and take time to repent and receive His forgiveness. This shuts doors to the enemy.
2. Announce your position and authority in Christ.
Verbally declare truths about who you are in Christ – that He has sealed you with His Spirit, you are seated in heavenly places with Him, and all authority has been given to you in Jesus’ name to tread upon the enemy (Ephesians 1:13, 2:6, Luke 10:19).
3. Ask God to reveal the source of the attack.
Ask the Holy Spirit to show you what may have opened the door to the enemy. Forgive any resentments and break ungodly soul ties. Cancel all ground given to Satan in Jesus’ name.
4. Put on the full armor of God.
Visualize putting on each piece of God’s armor described in Ephesians 6 – the belt of truth, the breastplate of righteousness, the shoes of the gospel, the shield of faith, the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, God’s Word.
5. Take authority over attacking spirits in Jesus’ name.
Command the enemy forces coming against you to cease their attacks and leave in Jesus’ name immediately. Be bold and specific in your prayer commands.
6. Ask God to station warrior angels around you.
Claim God’s promise in Psalm 34:7 that His angels will guard you and protect you from all harm. Ask Him to dispatch angels to form a perimeter around you.
7. Fill your mind and home with praise music, Scripture, and prayer.
Replace demonic oppression with the peace of God. Sing worship songs, listen to Bible verses, and pray out loud as declarations. God inhabits the praises of His people (Psalms 22:3)!
How to Pray When Under Spiritual Attack
Engaging in intentional spiritual warfare through prayer helps strengthen us against enemy attacks. Here are some powerful prayers to pray:
- “God, I put on my spiritual armor – the belt of truth, the breastplate of righteousness, shoes of the gospel, the shield of faith, helmet of salvation, and sword of the Spirit. I take my stand against every scheme of the devil in Jesus’ name.”
- “Lord, I submit every area of my life to Your authority. Anything in me that does not align with Your will, please reveal it to me. I repent of any foothold I have given to the enemy.”
- “Heavenly Father, please dispatch Your angels to surround me and secure my home with Your hedge of protection. I declare that no weapon formed against me will prosper.”
- “Lord Jesus, thank You that through Your death and resurrection, You have conquered Satan and broken every curse. As Your child, I wield Your authority against every evil spirit coming against me. I command them to flee right now in Your mighty name!”
- “I sprinkle the blood of Jesus Christ over my body, mind, emotions, and home. I declare that Satan cannot cross the bloodline. Jesus, you have redeemed me, and I belong to You.”
- “God, I ask You to station warrior angels around my children and family members. Surround them with Your peace and presence. Protect their bodies, minds, and emotions.”
- “Holy Spirit, please reveal to me now anything in my life that has given Satan a foothold. I lay down any pride, unforgiveness, fear, or sin. Jesus, wash me clean with Your blood.”
50 Spiritual Warfare Prayers and Declarations
Here are 50 impactful spiritual warfare prayers and declarations to activate your victory in Christ. Speak them out loud as declarations over yourself and your family!
- I declare that I am united with the Lord Jesus Christ, and He dwells in me by His Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 6:17).
- I am God’s child, and I am seated with Christ in heavenly places, above all principalities and powers (Ephesians 1:19-21, 2:6).
- I take authority over every demonic spirit coming against me and my family in the name of Jesus (Luke 10:19).
- Lord Jesus, You have given me the authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and overcome all the power of the enemy (Luke 10:19).
- Father God, dispatch Your angels to surround me and secure my home (Psalm 34:7).
- I declare that no weapon formed against me will prosper (Isaiah 54:17).
- Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me (Psalm 23:4).
- Lord, You have not given me a spirit of fear, but of power, love, and a sound mind (2 Timothy 1:7).
- I cut off and cancel every ungodly soul tie I have ever had, in Jesus’ name.
- I renounce and break all curses and spells sent against me in the name of Jesus (Galatians 3:13).
- Jesus, You took all my infirmities and bore all my sicknesses; therefore, I refuse to allow sickness to dominate my body (Matthew 8:17).
- No evil will befall me, nor will any plague come near my dwelling, for God has given angels charge over me (Psalm 91:10-11).
- Because I abide in the secret place of the Most High, I dwell under the shadow of the Almighty (Psalm 91:1).
- Christ has redeemed me from the curse of the law so that I may receive His Spirit and His blessings (Galatians 3:13-14).
- Lord, I ask you to dispatch a host of angels with swords drawn to protect me and my family from every attack.
- I declare that I have the mind of Christ, and the peace of God guards my heart and mind (1 Corinthians 2:16, Philippians 4:7).
- Father, Your rod and Your staff comfort me. I dwell in the shelter of the Most High (Psalm 23:4).
- Lord, teach my hands to war and my fingers to battle against every enemy (Psalm 144:1).
- Because I love You, Lord, You deliver me from all my fears (Psalm 34:4).
- I declare that no evil shall befall me or any plague come near my dwelling, for You order Your angels to protect me wherever I go. (Psalm 91:10-11)
- I am strong in the Lord and in the power of His might (Ephesians 6:10).
- I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me! (Philippians 4:13)
- Lord, I declare that You have not given me a spirit of fear but of power, love, and a sound mind. (2 Timothy 1:7)
- Your Word says that no weapon formed against me shall prosper (Isaiah 54:17). Therefore, I declare that no weapon formed against me or my family will prosper.
- Though troubles surround me, You will preserve my life, You will keep me alive (Psalm 41:2).
- I receive Your abundant grace and reign in life through Christ Jesus (Romans 5:17).
- Lord, You are the light that dispels all darkness. Please fill my home with Your light and expose all evil.
- I declare myself free from every dark spirit in the name of Jesus.
- I declare myself healed, delivered, set free, and victorious in Jesus Christ.
- Lord, release your angels to watch over me and protect me from all harm and demonic attacks.
- I come against every evil influence and spiritual attack through the power of the blood of Jesus Christ.
- I declare Your supernatural protection over my body, soul, mind, and home in Jesus’ name.
- Father, help me put on the full armor of God every day. I claim protection over my emotions and mind.
- I command every evil spirit tormenting my mind and body to leave now, in Jesus’ name.
- Thank You, God, for surrounding me with favor like a shield (Psalm 5:12).
- I declare that the Lord is on my side, so I will not fear. What can man do to me? (Psalm 118:6)
- Lord, I ask you to station your heavenly host to guard and protect my home against every attempt by the enemy to harm my family or property.
- I renounce all thoughts sent to me by demonic spirits of fear, confusion, oppression, and defeat. I tear down those strongholds in Jesus’ name.
- Thank You, Lord, for being a wall of fire around me and for Your glory in my midst (Zechariah 2:5).
- Jesus, You have given me the keys to the kingdom to bind and loose on earth and in heaven (Matthew 16:19).
- I loose the hosts of heaven to war against demonic spirits trying to access my life and family.
- I declare that I do not wrestle against flesh and blood but against principalities, powers, and rulers of darkness (Ephesians 6:12).
- I nullify every demonic assignment sent out against my life by the powers of hell, in the name of Jesus.
- Lord Jesus, fill me fresh with Your Holy Spirit to walk in victory and authority over the enemy.
- I declare myself submitted and hidden in You, God. You are my refuge and my fortress (Psalm 91:2).
- I give no opportunity for the devil in my life (Ephesians 4:27). I rebuke and reject every satanic effort sent my way.
- Father, Your kingdom come in my life, family, church, city, and nation. Let Your will be done here on earth as it is in heaven (Matthew 6:10).
- I take up the sword of the Spirit, the Word of God, and declare Jesus Christ is Lord over my life (Ephesians 6:17).
- I declare God’s kingdom rule and reign over my mind, body, life, family, and possessions (1 Chronicles 29:11).
- Lord Jesus, I bow my knees before You, for all authority is Yours. I declare Your authority over my life and every demonic spirit (Ephesians 3:14-15).
7 Powerful Spiritual Warfare Prayers
Here are some additional powerful prayers to pray as you take a stand against the enemy:
- Prayer to Break Ungodly Soul Ties – I break all ungodly soul ties with (name person if known) or with any relationship not of You, Lord. I tear down these unholy altars in the name of Jesus.
- House Cleansing Prayer – Jesus, I ask Your Holy Spirit to permeate every room and dispel any darkness. Protect my home from demonic attacks. Fill this atmosphere with Your presence and peace.
- Prayer for Protection – Heavenly Father, as I step out today, I claim Your hedge of protection over me. Surround me with Your angels and keep me safe from all harm and demonic attacks.
- Prayer to Banish the Darkness – In the name and authority of Jesus Christ, I banish every dark spirit from this atmosphere. I declare that the light of Jesus Christ reigns here.
- Prayer Against Malicious Spirits – I bind and rebuke every malicious, retaliating, and underhanded spirit sent to harm me. I render them paralyzed and powerless in the name and authority of Jesus Christ.
- Prayer to Cut Demonic Ties – In the name of Jesus Christ, I cut all ties and attachments that demons have made to my mind, will, emotions, and body. I command them to leave me now.
- Prayer for Angelic Protection – Holy Spirit, dispatch Your ministering angels to surround me and secure every corner of this place. Let no demon interrupt Your work here. I declare this atmosphere holy ground.
Deep Spiritual Warfare Prayers
Getting free of demonic oppression may take persistence. Here are some powerful spiritual warfare prayers for breakthrough:
- “Lord Jesus, I confess and renounce every sin and every foothold the enemy has in my life. Forgive me where I have grieved Your Spirit. Come and cleanse me in Your precious blood.”
- “By the authority I have in Jesus’ name, I bind every evil spirit afflicting me, and I command them to depart and never return.”
- “Archangel Michael, surround me with your legion of angels and shield me from all attacks of the enemy. Help me discern spiritual traps and give me wisdom.”
- “Heavenly Father, please send Your Spirit of Truth to reveal to my mind now anything I have believed that is a lie. Expose all darkness so Your light can shine.”
- “Father God, let every cord of demonic attachment be severed now. I reject and sever all ties to false guides and demonic spirits. I surrender fully to Jesus Christ as Lord.”
- “Lord, please reveal to my heart now if any part of my life has surrendered ground to Satan so I can repent. I take back all ground from the enemy by the blood of Jesus.”
- “I proclaim that my body is a temple for the Holy Spirit of God. I belong to Jesus alone. No evil spirit has rights to my life, in the mighty name of Jesus!”
Spiritual Warfare Prayers for the Mind
The mind is a primary battleground where spiritual warfare is waged. Pray deliverance prayers like these:
- “I reject and rebuke every invasive thought the enemy has sown in my mind. I surrender all thoughts to the obedience of Christ.”
- “I pull down every demonic mental stronghold that exalts itself against the knowledge of God. I take all thoughts captive to Jesus.”
- “I reject all condemnation, shame, guilt, doubt, and confusion sent by the enemy to torment my mind. I break their power in the name of Jesus.”
- “Lord Jesus, wash my mind and conscience clean with Your blood. Purify every part that has been infiltrated by the enemy.”
- “By the power of Christ, I tear down every demonic altar that has been erected in my mind. May the blood of Jesus purge my thoughts.”
- “I dismantle every system of deception erected by demons to control my mind. Jesus, align my thoughts with Your Truth.”
- “Holy Spirit, reveal to me any areas where my mind needs renewing and transformation. Teach me to think like Christ.”
Powerful Prayer Points for Spiritual Warfare
Here are important spiritual warfare prayers to keep in your arsenal:
- Pray Scripture: Speak Scriptures that refute the lies of the enemy out loud as declarations and prayers. The sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God, is a powerful weapon (Ephesians 6:17).
- Plead the blood of Jesus: Remind the enemy that you have been washed clean by the blood of Jesus and made righteous. Declare that the enemy must flee at the mention of His blood.
- Ask God to dispatch angels: Claim God’s promises of angelic protection and ask Him to send His angels to guard you from all harm (Psalm 91:11-12).
- Pray for repentance and forgiveness: Ask God to reveal any areas of unconfessed sin or unforgiveness. These give the enemy footholds. Repent and receive God’s cleansing.
- Break generational curses: Plead the blood of Jesus over any generational sins or curses that may be influencing you, and break their power.
- Anoint home with oil: Ask God to sanctify and dedicate your home as holy ground. Anoint doorposts with oil as a symbolic act of consecration to God.
- Rebuke attacking spirits: Directly address any evil spirits assaulting you and command them in the name of Jesus Christ to immediately cease their attacks and leave.
- Pray protection over relationships: Ask God to build a “hedge of thorns” around your marriage, children, family members, and relationships to protect them.
- Invite God’s presence: Thank God that He fills the atmosphere with His holy presence. Play worship music and verbally invite His presence into your home and surroundings.
FAQs on Spiritual Warfare Prayers
How do I know I’m under spiritual attack, and how do I know how to pray when under spiritual attack? Some signs may include mental/emotional turmoil, fatigue, nightmares, physical illness, demonic manifestations, financial pressure, spiritual confusion, and relationship strife. Ask God to confirm the source. Essentially, this article will help you learn how to pray when under spiritual attack.
What are strongholds, and how are they spiritually dangerous? Strongholds are thought patterns the enemy builds in our minds contrary to God’s truth, which gives him influence. They must be torn down through repentance and renewing our minds with Scripture.
Can Christians be demon-possessed?
No – the Holy Spirit resides in a believer, leaving no room for demons to possess a Christian. But believers can be harassed, oppressed, or influenced by demons if they give ground to the enemy through sin or false beliefs. If you are confused about how to pray when under spiritual attack, then read this article again.
Is it biblical to verbally address and rebuke demonic spirits? Yes, Jesus modeled this practice and gave His disciples authority over evil spirits. But we only have power over them through His name and authority, not our own. That is why when we teach people how to pray when under spiritual attack, we use verses in the Bible to show examples.
Why is praise so powerful in spiritual warfare? God commands us not to focus on negative circumstances but to worship Him. As we turn our eyes to Jesus, the enemy loses his grip. Praise and declaring God’s promises out loud tear down strongholds. Praise is the best answer to how to pray when under spiritual attack. However, at the first instance of attack, there is usually fear and unsettlement, which should be overcome with the word of God and proclamations. Then praise will follow.
Spiritual warfare is, unfortunately, a reality for believers in Jesus Christ. But we are not left defenseless – through His Word, prayer, praise and the Holy Spirit’s power, we can walk in victory over every attack of the enemy. God has equipped you through Christ to overcome. Keep your eyes fixed on Him as you put on His armor and wield spiritual weapons in prayer. The Lord is faithful to fight for you!
What are some other tips or prayers you find helpful when under spiritual attack? I welcome your thoughts in the comments. And please share this with anyone who needs biblical guidance on gaining victory in spiritual battles through prayer.